Saturday, November 24, 2012

Trekking to Poon Hill volume #1

4 days 3 nights trek from Nayapul to Poon Hill by Budget Adventure Treks

Day 1 from Nayapul to Thikenhunga (1500m)

The trip started with our breakfast in Pokhara where we order our food through our guide, after which we took a private taxi with our guide Kapil and porter Siva. View along the 1.5 hour ride out of Pokhara to the mountain are getting better and better, the air quality also follows.
view near to Pokhara town - still a little dusty

Nearing Nayapul, the Annapurna range with river view - not dusty anymore!

The few kids that ran away happily after we gave them some mentos sweets
Nayapul 1070m! where we started our 4 days trek up Poon Hill
A bridge along the foot hill of the trek
Siva our porter - he's a real good dancer (traditional)
Kapil registering our permit at the checkpoint - there are 2, this was the 1st checkoint.
Our moutain permit was being held by Kapil throughout the whole trek, he only handed it back to us upon completion of the trek. These permit are arranged by Raj from Khangsar which I don't think solo trekking is allowed here, one must be accompanied by at least either a guide or a porter, so to arrange your lodging and direction.
Beautiful mountains with river view
some little houses at the foot hill, check out how they secure their roof to their house
many trekkers along the way
It was a very hot day, when we passes this stream of water, our guide Kapil dunk his hand towel into the water to cool down, both Julie and I saw then we follow so... the water is so cold!
perfect view
Spotted a pony while walking by
Mountain goats - I was jokingly ask the goat to look to my camera :)
First herd of mountain goats we saw while resting for our lunch break
Egg noodle soup - pretty much a bowl of instant noodle soup
A villager trying to manage her buffalo.
The steep U-turn uphill
Laxmi Lodge, Thikenhunga - our first pit stop
A big dog at the lodge

We trekked from Nayapul at 11am and reaches Thikenhunga at about 2:30pm, it seems too easy, both Julie and I therefore asked Kapil if we could walk for a bit more. So he recommended that we all go to the river side! So we did, but I made a big mistake by going after my shower! I was soaked with sweat after the river walk, we trek for about half hour down hill to reach the river... thereafter hike back to the lodge! But it was good fun, we gone a little crazy at the river...


I took a few shot for Julie, here's 1 of the few :)
Kapil doing his best to outdo my 14 pieces - what huge stone he started with! And yes, he succeeded, he got more than 25 pieces
Porter Siva and Raju - thereafter Julie and I found out all 3 of them are relative, the Amgain family!
I got bitten up by a tiny leech

After doing some silly stuff at the river side for about an hour, we then head back to the lodge as it was getting dark, I was rushing up since I learn that there are alot of leeches everywhere, true enough another tiny leech was about to stunk on my leg, thank God Kapil saw it and remove it for me. It was a huge relief when I know we reaches the top! and we then saw one of the villager came deliver the news about a new born baby buffalo to Kapil, asking us to go and have a look :)
Mummy buffalo and her calf

After all the evening activities, it was already about 5.30pm, Julie and I reckon we better get back to the lodge for our shower (yes, for me is an again!). Unfortunately hot water is no longer available since sun already down, we both have no choice but to clean up using icy cold water.
Laxi Lodge where we stayed for a night is hidden at the back

After shower, we sat down by the lodge and watch the time passes, I can't recall what we ate for dinner the first night but do recall that I let the crowd see photos in my tab. There was really not much to do than have a drink catching up with one another in the Lodge restaurant, I think we went back to our room to sleep pretty early.

No comments:

Post a Comment