Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tokyo in 2 days

It was a brief 4 days in Tokyo, 2 upon arriving and another 2 upon departure. As usual I don't do much planning with my travel itinerary, was just following my instinct, I did have a few places that I noted down before coming to Japan but unfortunately didn't manage to do all of them as there were just too many things in such a short time.

Well now let me review what are the things I did in Tokyo the first 2 days upon arriving.

Day 1 morning - hunt down my hostel in Nishi-Kawaguchi! it isn't all too bad cos I've got the location map circle by the info counter lady at the airport.

It was a very beautiful day with clear blue skies.

After checked in, I went on out to the city, since Ueno is rather a convenient spot, stop within the same train line, so the day's walk started from there.

Park - I think I've always ended up in parks whenever I traveled, wonder if this is just me? First park visited, Ueno Onshi park which is a popular spot for watching cherry blossom.
Plum blossom that I'm expecting to see more
entrance of the park, there are few temple and a zoo
the kitty that attracted many shuttle clicks
owner of the kitty on the tree, another kitty is resting so comfortably in his arm
There quite a bit of early bloomed pink blossom in the park, lots of people are seems as astonished to these flowers as I am ie capturing pictures with their phone, camera etc. Take a look at them in the following few pictures.

Those branches at the background bloomed into beautiful clouds of white cherry blossom within a week

everyone's busy with this tree
how we wish KL too might have these exciting blossoms once a year right
After flowers watching, I continue to take a real slow walk around in this lovely park. Some of the scene I saw. There were lots of temple here, actually can't differentiate whether they are Shinto or Buddhism.
A shrine which I'm impressed by it's neat architecture 
one would stand at the red box to pray
more neat architecture 
a pagoda at the background
fortune wheels that's similar to buddhism 
 After Ueno park, museums time!
nice contemporary art
after seeing the kitty on the tree, bought this postcard and suppose to post them home however didn't manage to cos keep missing the post office opening hours. This sit in my backpack until I unpack my bag after the trip
parents in Japan uses these cute bike to fetch their children
Tokyo National Museum @ ¥600 for normal exhibits

TNM building, the 2 comic figures probably are their mascot
pink blossoms to end my day 1 in Tokyo, how bad can this be!
Explored the few spot with a very tired body that's due to insufficient rest at the airport (slept less than 4 hours), this was the last touristy thing I did for day 1 which thereafter I went back to my hostel. 
buy on the first night in Tokyo - ¥250 bento, cup noodle (Japanese flavour never suit my taste, it has corn in them)
Day 2!
my most utilised JR line - Keihintohoku line
check out the crowd at the Asakusa gate entrance 
brown building across the road is the Asakusa info centre, do stop by to collect maps or ask for direction
the giant lantern at the entrance
The very fun Nakamise shopping street, variety of food and souvenirs here. Prize varied from stall to stall even for the exact same item, so suggest to do a quick comparison before putting down your purchases and food wise lots of queues.

clean back lanes with shopping
these food stalls are set up during weekends I'm guessing
amazingly neat architecture
crowd was heading to the smokey pots where devotees poke their incense stick and then fetching  the smoke hoping to get blessings 
getting their fortune for ¥100 each
temple main building, spot sky tree on the background
neat Japanese garden
Done with spot number 1, now next is navigating to Sky Tree by foot on my own. Coincidentally, there is a group of tourist too are heading to the same spot, how do I know? I was just guessing, doesn't really matter if they are not, I can always stop going to the same direction as theirs whenever I feel not right.
the tree that's pretty much straight ahead from Asakusa
a hunk pulling a hunk on the rickshaw
crowd waiting to board their boat ride at the Nihombashi pier
Nihombashi river
a cyclist with his pair of pet
an owner walking her little toy poodle
the tree is getting bigger
am here! approximately 20 minutes walk, really not too bad at all
it was so crowded, at 11am I line up to get this ticket for 3pm and even if I wait with this temporary ticket, I won't be guaranteed to get a real ticket up the tree!
I see, I shouldn't have come during weekend, is the local family days time!
bid farewell to the tree, maybe I'll plan well to see you next time.
Next went ahead to Shibuya, to see Hachiko!
Shibuya station, busiest junction in Tokyo, is hard to believe this same crowd passes this junction every single time the lights turn green,  Tokyo is that crowded!

popular meeting place - late Hachiko statue
wall art again dedicated to late Hachiko 
I walked from Shibuya to Meiji Jingu, it took me another 20mins.

entrance to Meiji Jingu

a formal wedding at the shrine
the bride getting help adjusting her wedding kimono
Meiji Jingu garden @ ¥600
some farm work in the garden

Harajuku fashion at the bridge between Meiji and Harajuku
fashion the harajuku way, they are striking however not all likes to be photographed, from the 4 at least only 1 tries to cover herself
Japanese loves their pet, so awesome! 
Takeshita Street, rather a nice place to people watch
Harajuku track line
Yoyogi park, there are lots of these performance found in Tokyo, earn pocket monies  
I'm guessing they are a group of university students having a picnic and drinking at the park
This will be a perfect spot during autumn
this gentleman seems to have fun creating bubles for kids to burst

sunset in Tokyo's beautiful too

I'm liking the architecture of Harajuku station
Final spot for the day, Tokyo Metropolitan Government  building observatory floor no fee is required here. Well it is not as nice but at least I still can say I've seen the city from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment